Friday, November 23, 2012

Done and Done: Part 3

Well, it's time for one of those posts where I just have to "keep it real." 

As part of my DIY series {check out part 1 here and part 2 here}, I had this grand idea to DIY a cute sweatshirt that was a combination of two of my favorite things: polka dots and sparkles... {you thought I was going to say leopard, didn't you?}.

You see, I've seen all of these cute sparkly sweatshirts around and thought to myself, 'I could do that!' And then in the October edition of InStyle magazine, a girl DIY'd her own pair of polka dotted jeans. I was on a mission.

Here's where I started:

A comfy grey sweatshirt from WalMart for a whopping 6ish bucks, a couple gold acrylic paints {one solid, one glittered} each around $1 or $2 and a round sponge. All in all this project was less than $10, {sidenote, I promise I will get better at keeping track of project budgets! Save your receipts, Katie!}

I added a layer of solid gold polka dots:

I chose gold for two reasons: #1 I had it on hand from this project and #2 the glitter I chose was a silver/gold combo, so I thought it would be a nice way to pick up the gold while the grey in the sweatshirt picked up the silver.

And here is what I ended up with:

I like how the sweatshirt ended up, but I'm not in love with it. The project itself was quite time consuming as it took 4 applications {solid dot front and back, glitter dot front and back}. The finished dots are not quite as glittered as I thought they would be, but on the other hand they shed plenty as is, so adding more glitter would just be asking for more trouble. 

I'm glad I finished a project for this week of the series, but let's just chalk this one up to a learning experience. And watch out if you see me wearing this little number... I will shed glitter on you. 

No comments:

Post a Comment